Sunday, May 22, 2011

Dear Nuzzle,

All dogs go to heaven. So I know where you are, and you better not fart on anyone!

I remember riding in the car and then seeing you for the first time. When Pawpaw and Clodene took us to pick you up and it was a secret surprise. Mommy and Daddy called home we told them "We got a puppy!" They were vacationing in Mexico. Which meant they weren't as delighted as baby Emily and I at your arrival into our family. But I'm sure your little sparkling eyes and stubby wiggly tail melted their hearts.

You were so spry and perky as a puppy, and I don't think you realized at the time that you were a dog. You tried so hard to be a vigilant guard of our yard, yapping and hopping up and down on your hind legs, day-in and day-out. Those squirrels snickered and taunted you from the trees for years. It was because of you that Mommy and Malanka brought out their shotguns one day and fired at those rascally bullies.

I'm sorry I teased you too, when I'd stand on the diving board and act like I was going to jump in. You didn't like that. I just couldn't help myself, because it was so funny to see you get your panties in such a twist.

Mommy was the one who was always there for you. She was your very best friend, and when I sat next to her while we watched American Idol, you'd always get really jealous and then squeeze between us.

The time you got attacked by our neighbor's wolf-dog was one of the most terrifying and gruesome experiences I've had.

Even with your smelly fish breath, I loved that you'd cuddle up next to me in bed when I'd come home from Utah.

You lived a full life, making it into your nineties. And when you died today, everyone cried. Even Daddy.

I hope you're getting lots of watermelon and cinnamon bread up there. I know Pawpaw's probably glad to see his favorite schnauzer, and I hope Granny's giving you a nice neck-scratch.

Rest In Pieces of Bacon,

Holly



1 comment:

  1. Holly!!! I'm so sorry about your dog! This post was so cute!!! love you girl :)

    ReplyDelete